What's Your Excuse, Now?: "Breathe" by Tia D!

Friday, March 25, 2011

"Breathe" by Tia D!

Breathing is a simple involuntary action that can be controlled by conscious thought but does not require it. At least for most of us. Apparently I’m the exception since at least 5 times in the last week people felt the need to remind me to do so.

I’m very much aware that when I get overly excited or overwhelmed the rate of the words coming out of my mouth tends to drastically increase (sometimes to the point of intelligibility). However, is it really necessary for you to remind me to breathe? I mean eventually I’ll have to take a breath…or risk passing out. Regardless, it brings to light a bigger question: Why am I so freakin’ neurotic?!

I am a hardcore worrier. I’m always worried about something. Like my appt this week. I worried about it for the last 2 weeks to the point that I was physically ill! Now, two days later I’m exhausted. And for what? It went better than I could’ve hoped! I was telling a co-worker of mine (whom I often confide in) how I felt like “the world had been lifted off my shoulders and I could breathe again.” Her response: “Knowing you, in the next 20 min you’ll find something new to worry about.” What the heck!? Why am I like this? And what is the world doing on my shoulders anyway?

In Matthew 11:28-30 Jesus says, “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Phillipians 4:6-7 says “do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Peace. That’s what I want! That’s what I need!! If Jesus is my savior why am I not at peace? That answer is actually quite simple. I’ve been searching for “the peace that surpasses all understanding” in all the wrong places. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with seeking help from a trusted friend/pastor/counselor, etc. BUT they are after all only humans. True peace comes from seeking the face of Jesus daily. Friends are meant to support you in your Christian walk…not define it. God created the path I’m on. He’s the One I need to seek for direction!

No comments: