What's Your Excuse, Now?: “Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani?”

Friday, October 8, 2010

“Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani?”

My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”  These words were cried out in anguish and pain by the ManGod, Jesus Christ, as he hangs dying on the cross.  The Son of God even questions His doubt in His Father, our God.  Now if Jesus questions His Father, then our human side in us has doubted God one time or other in our lives.  Jesus seems to be quoting the Old Testament Psalm 22:1.  Why is God so far us when we seem to need him in the midst of our crying?  David temporarily questions but knows that God is whom his forefathers trusted and was delivered.  Psalm 22:5 said, “They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed.”  Psalm 22:11 said, “Do not be far from me, for trouble is near and there is no one to help.”  The Psalmist is definitely facing trials and tribulations.  When God spoke to His people, He called their name twice to let them know that it God who is calling them.  Listen how Christ and David both cry out, “My God, my God!”  How powerful do those words sound?  Do you think they will get God’s attention?  They did not say Oh my God, but My God, my God.  They called on the God that knows the exact number of hairs on our heads and what is in our hearts that will answer.  Christ gave his life willingly for the atonement of man’s sins so that we can have everlasting joy with Him and His Father. I can imagine when Christ first cried out those words, Eli, Eli that the devil and all of his legions cheered when they thought that Christ had weakened.  I can also imagine that it was short-lived because when Christ died He broke the gates of Hell.  Not only that, Christ still forgave man seconds before His death.  No greater love than forgiveness and giving your life.  Christ had an even heavier burden than the cross to carry, yet he did for the very people that hated, tortured, and mocked Him.  Now that is what I call self-control.  If you had the power to give life, change it or take it against your enemies, what would you do?  As a human, doing the right thing might be hard to do.  Christ had that power but He remained obedient to His Father.  At the same time, as God, He gave His mortal life to save His childrens' souls.  Yes, this entry is a follow-up to God’s existence.  I want to also give Reverend Colley credit for our discussion on his own sermon that supported God’s existence and love for us.  Too bad we don’t know how to love ourselves.

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos