What's Your Excuse, Now?: Don’t Put Your Faith In Polls, Get Off Your Duff, Go Vote!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Don’t Put Your Faith In Polls, Get Off Your Duff, Go Vote!

I know how surveys work and I know what they set out to achieve.  But who I don’t know are any of the people that have been polled.  I don’t have a huge circle of friends and associates but I do know quite a few people and they say that they haven’t been polled.  What makes matters worse is that so many people believe that the polls have the final word on who’s elected.  That is pitiful because these so-called poll results managed to convince folks sitting on the fence, not to vote.  They feel that it’s no use voting since the polls say that one candidate is ahead of the other.  “What’s the point of me voting”, they say.  Or, “My vote won’t count.”  Voting is a privilege and an opportunity to voice your feelings about local, state, and national government.  Too many people, young & old, Black & White have given their lives for this right.  And yet, there are too many people who don’t see the real picture.  Don’t let these people die in vain.  And don’t give up on your beliefs.  This nation is at a turning point in its history.  People are so outspoken that they have become hateful, spiteful, and nasty.  Mean voices are calling people dogs and animals.  Emails sent with racist humor but its okay.  Where those foul emails years ago?  Voices are saying that this country is going in the wrong direction and that they want their country back.  I’m concerned on many fronts from these words.  Wrong direction?  For whom?  Their country back? Their being whom?  I grew up in the Jim Crow era and when the Civil Rights Act passed, I remember this same hostility and hate.  Get real, people, minorities had their place and it wasn’t in leadership positions, especially, as President of the United States with a funny name.  It’s a shame that so many people still carry such resentful feelings towards minorities.  And if given the opportunity, they’ll turn this nation back to the direction of separation and returned to those hypocrites that want to continue those old racial practices.  And don’t even try to play me with political correctness or if you don’t agree with the President, then everyone else is a racists.  Don’t fool yourself because you are not fooling me.  Show your true self and I’ll respect you as a person.  Hell, we don’t have to agree on everything but because you think you’re right doesn’t make me wrong, either.  The Democrats think that because you’re a minority you’re supposed to vote their way.  Wrong!  My vote is not to be taken for granted.  The Republicans used to be the party of Lincoln who had sincere values and concerns but lost it to the ultra-conservatives who seemed to see the world only through eyes like theirs.  My affiliation has never been taken for granted with them then, but now as a moderate and a minority, it doesn’t even matter.  Personally, my perception of the Republicans has changed.  This country needs a stronger third party and I am not talking about the Tea Party.  Where were they the past 8 years?  I guess nothing was wrong then.  The country was still going deeper in depth with an unnecessary war, forget about the direction.  The country was just fine so it didn’t need to be taken back.  People have short memories but that’s the way they are.  Too bad they still have a problem of acceptance.  These are my views, my feelings, I’m writing.  I’m not giving up on what so many people sacrificed and died for.  Our soldiers and sailors are still fighting and dying for all of us to voice our opinions.  I know that I appreciate what they are doing because I wouldn’t be able to do what I’m doing now.  Remember to vote November 2nd!  Exercise your right while you still have it!

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos