Monday, August 31, 2026

Why, Lord, Am I So Disobedient When the Angels, Saints, and the Others Around You Are Obedient?

         Why, Lord, do I find myself struggling with obedience when the angels obey Your commands, the saints earnestly seek to follow Your ways, and others around me seem to surrender their lives completely to You? I wonder why I sometimes know what is right but still choose what is wrong. I hear Your voice in my spirit, understand Your guidance, and yet I hesitate, question, resist, or sometimes choose to go my own way. It’s comforting to know You understand my struggles and are always there, ready to guide me back to You. 

Maybe the answer lies in the tension between the flesh and the spirit. Knowing Your Will won’t always mean I’m eager to follow it. My mind might grasp the truth, but my heart could hold back. My spirit might whisper, “Go,” while my flesh suggests, “Wait.” I see the path You’ve set before me, yet I often get sidetracked by fear, pride, comfort, ambition, temptation, or the opinions of others. Sometimes, I find myself wishing for Your blessings without always wanting to embrace the obedience that comes with them. 

Lord, the angels are free from the human limitations that I experience, as they serve in accordance with their divine purpose. The saints who came before me faced trials, persecution, disappointment, and suffering, yet many stayed faithful. I see among us those who have learned to trust You even when the outcomes are unseen. Their obedience inspires me, reminding me that faith isn't just about believing in You—it's about trusting You enough to follow Your path. 

Lord, I honestly admit that obeying You can sometimes be challenging for me. There are moments when I crave explanations before I take the next step. I wonder where You’re leading me, what tomorrow holds, who will be by my side, and if the path will be smooth. Yet, I know that faith often means moving forward without seeing the full picture. Just like Abraham had to leave what was familiar, Moses had to go back to Egypt, Noah had to build before the rain, and Peter had to step out of the boat—each of them trusted You even without proof. My biggest challenge is that I like to be in control, and trusting You means letting go of that control. 

I acknowledge that You are Lord, yet there are moments when I behave as if I am the ruler of my own life. I ask You to bless my plans, instead of seeking Your guidance in them. I pray for Your will, but sometimes I secretly hope it aligns with my own. Please forgive me, Lord. Forgive me for confusing my own desires with Your true direction. Forgive me when anger, anxiety, pride, or fear have spoken louder than wisdom, humility, and faith. Forgive me for letting temporary circumstances cause me to doubt Your everlasting promises. 

Your Word gently reminds me that obedience matters more than sacrifice. This truth touches my heart, as I realize I might go through religious motions—praying, attending church, reading Scripture, singing songs of praise, and talking about faith—yet still resist Your calls for obedience in some parts of my life. I wonder, what benefit is there in my worship if my heart isn't truly willing to surrender? 

Lord, please help me see that obedience isn’t about punishment. It’s about love and protection. Your commands aren’t meant to take away my freedom but to keep me safe from myself. Sometimes, the “no” I hear from You is really an answer to a prayer I haven’t fully understood yet. The door You close might be guarding me from a room I wasn’t meant to go into. And sometimes, the person You take out of my life makes room for the wonderful people You have planned to walk with me. Thank You for always guiding me with love and care. 

Help me to trust Your wisdom even more than my own understanding. Remembering that obedience isn't about being perfect helps me to be gentle with myself. I know I will stumble and make mistakes; it's part of the journey. Falling doesn't have to be final—because the righteous can get up again. What truly matters is my willingness to repent, learn, and come back to You with an open heart. 

Lord, when I stumble and disobey, please don't let guilt make me feel like I'm beyond Your grace. Instead, gently guide my heart with conviction back to You. Help me clearly see the difference between condemnation that discourages and conviction that encourages growth. May every mistake be a gentle reminder that brings me closer to You, rather than something that pushes me away. 

Perhaps the real question is not simply, “Why am I disobedient?” Perhaps the deeper question is, “What am I afraid of losing if I completely obey You?” Am I afraid of losing control? Am I afraid of losing relationships? Am I afraid of losing comfort? Am I afraid that Your plan will require more from me than I want to give? Am I afraid that obedience will take me somewhere I do not want to go? Lord, expose those fears.

Grant me the courage to let go of what I cannot control. Help me find wisdom to hear Your voice clearly. Enable me to discern Your guidance from my own wishes. Strengthen my discipline when obedience is tough. Fill me with perseverance during the long journey. Humble me when I am mistaken and inspire me with courage when I am right. 

Let me stop comparing my obedience to others'. Their journey is uniquely theirs, and mine is uniquely mine. I may not know all the battles they've fought, the temptations they've overcome, or the private conversations they've had with You. Instead of wondering why I’m not where someone else is, I want to ask, “Lord, what are You asking of me today?” Maybe obedience starts with just one simple step—whether that's an apology, an act of forgiveness, resisting a temptation, speaking a truth, abandoning a wrong, showing kindness, praying sincerely, or trusting You even when I don't understand. Every small step counts on this beautiful journey of faith. 

Lord, I sincerely want not only to know Your Word but also to live it each day. I truly desire to follow Your guidance wholeheartedly, not just listen to it. My heart longs to consistently call You Lord with my words and genuinely surrender to You through my actions. Please teach me to obey and make my heart open and ready to hear Your voice. Help me stay humble and attentive. When You tell me to go, give me courage. When You ask me to wait, grant me patience. When You invite me to let go, give me strength to release what I’m holding onto. When You call me to forgive, fill me with grace. When You encourage me to love, inspire me to do so even when I don't feel like it. And when You ask me to trust You, help me to do so without needing to understand everything that lies ahead. 

Lord, I may not fully understand why obedience seems so easy for angels or why some people surrender themselves so openly to You. But what I do know is this: Your love for me has never wavered, even when I stumble in obedience. That truth touches my heart deeply. You have never abandoned me because I make mistakes. Instead, You keep calling me back with patience and grace. You give me chances to change, grow, repent, forgive, and start anew. Today, Lord, I choose to surrender—not just my words, but my will; not just my worship, but my actions; not just my Sundays, but every day of my life. I surrender all—what I understand and what I still seek to comprehend. 

Why, Lord, am I so disobedient? Maybe it's because I'm still learning how to surrender completely. But, Lord, please keep teaching me. Transform my resistance into obedience, my fear into faith, my pride into humility, and my uncertainty into trust. Let my life serve as a gentle reminder that obedience is possible when our hearts truly seek You. When I stumble, help me remember that Your grace is always there for me. Lord, guide me not only to ask, “What do You want me to do?” but also to have the courage to follow through. Amen.

No comments:

Why, Lord, Am I So Disobedient When the Angels, Saints, and the Others Around You Are Obedient?

            Why, Lord, do I find myself struggling with obedience when the angels obey Your commands, the saints earnestly seek to follow Yo...