What's Your Excuse, Now?: Losers and Suckers!!

Tuesday, February 27, 2024

Losers and Suckers!!

            I read a post in a local neighborhood newspaper regarding voting last week.  The author, a veteran, wanted all veterans to vote “blue” “since “45” thinks we’re suckers and losers.”  Another veteran responded by paraphrasing that all veterans are conservative and will always vote as conservatives and not as Liberals.  Therefore, to me, he indicated that all veterans are suckers that will support people who will call us losers and suckers and disgrace those that gave their lives for this country or were caught as prisoners of war.  What he didn’t say was voting for people who support Russian ideals, attacking democracy, and dividing America is a benefit for those in Congress who want to stay in power.

 

Naturally, the veteran’s response was subjectively given.  He did not consider the racial injustices that many minority veterans were subjected to and how they might have felt returning to America and not being accepted in local cities as patriots who survived the war and faced hometown discrimination as if nothing had changed.  He won’t know the injustices and prejudices minorities underwent because he wasn’t mistreated like one.  Either he doesn’t know military history or never tried to learn it.  He sounds like someone who hasn’t shared the experiences minorities had.  This person must have forgotten the Tuskegee Syphilis Studies or how the U.S. Army hung 97 black soldiers, members of the Buffalo Soldiers in 1917 at Fort Houston because they defended themselves against a mob of white men who attacked them.  Let’s move the time up to Vietnam, where minorities still did not want to serve but were placed on the front and take the full assault of the enemy to buffet their fellow soldiers or be the first ones in the tunnels. There are many more instances, past and present, but I hope someone understands.


I’m a veteran and will not have allegiance to anyone I cannot trust.  As for my politics, I support candidates with similar ideas for this country with the best interest of all Americans in mind.  I support those not afraid to speak out against injustices, lies, and wrongs that divide this nation.  I support those who support the military in every possible way and do not humiliate them. I am realistic enough to know that money counts for every campaign, but I respect those not controlled by it.  They made the same pledges to this country for their office as we veterans.  Some of us kept them.

 

This country, as we write, has so many homeless, unemployed, uninsured veterans who are not in any political conversations unless it’s voting time.  Veteran discussions come up only during Veterans Day and campaigns.  I feel, at times, that minority veterans are the lost voices in America.  Returning to the veteran’s response, he doesn’t know how other veterans feel, especially those with dishonorable or bad conduct discharges who are disqualified from receiving medical services from the VA.  He does not represent me.  Yes, I was conservative at a time when bipartisan politics worked for this country and did not waste time infighting.  I still am. However, I choose not to follow the herd blindly. I’m keeping my ears and eyes open, and I will not sleep on bull s###.

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos