What's Your Excuse, Now?: Tolerance, Tolerate or Both? Is There A Balance?

Monday, June 12, 2023

Tolerance, Tolerate or Both? Is There A Balance?

Merriam-Webster explains that there is a distinction between the two words.  "Tolerate" is a verb that indicates an action, meaning either to allow without hindrance or to put up with.  "Tolerance" is a noun referring to the ability to endure hardship or pain, as well as the act of allowing something or showing sympathy for beliefs or practices that differ from one's own.

 

I have noticed that some people express a low tolerance for foolishness and incompetence, and I can relate to that sentiment. However, I have come to realize that others may feel the same way about me. We all make mistakes and have to learn from others. When someone struggles to complete a simple task, I can sometimes become impatient. However, I realize they may be dealing with challenges that I am unaware of or don't understand. I may even be the one preventing them from learning. 

 

I understand that I can come across as harsh or arrogant. I may use unnecessary language and my approach may be intimidating. I acknowledge that I may have a biased mindset and that others may be tolerating my behavior. To improve, I try to put myself in their shoes and treat them with dignity and respect. After all, I would want others to treat me the same way, regardless of our differences in color, beliefs, lifestyles, and social standings.  The question remains if we are all imperfect, why are we still intolerant in the 21st century?  Is this truly a question for some or a problem for others?

 

As we live together, we choose to tolerate certain things in the name of peace and compromise. For example, I tolerate my wife's cooking and she tolerates my snoring. We also tolerate our children's music and our neighbor's barking dogs, but there may come a point where we can no longer handle the discomfort. In those situations, we may have to reconsider the investments we've made over the years. Sometimes it's easy to forget the value of forgiveness and mercy, especially when we've faced judgment from others and felt like second-class citizens.  How can we overcome our selfish tendencies and embrace acceptance, even if it requires enduring economic difficulties?

No comments:

This, Too, Shall Pass!

               I admit that living is complicated, but it’s all we have.  At least, we have several opportunities to improve it.  Nothing ca...