What's Your Excuse, Now?: Mass and Dorothy!

Sunday, December 30, 2018

Mass and Dorothy!


At Mass Saturday evening, the lone altar server, tried to lift the crucifix out of the holder to lead the procession. She was small and short and could only reach from the bottom, but due to the top weight, she lost control and the crucifix top tilted and hit the floor with a loud sound. As it goes, the women in the church gasped while her parents looked on ready to assist. The priest and the deacon were at the rear of the church and unable to render immediate aid at the time. As for the congregation, it was mainly women sitting near that area and not certain whether they should intervene. The little trooper was persistent and managed to get control and marched right to the rear of the church where the priest and deacon was. There she began to cry, feeling humiliated, hurt, and who knows what. They did their best to console her before Mass started. She regained confidence in herself and led the procession. Her parents still watched her every move like eagles. At the end of Mass, the priest announced that he had made mistakes and felt humiliated about the things he had done in the past and how much God loves us so much, that HE immediately forgets the wrongs we make. The priest never mentioned the altar server’s earlier misfortune. I was impressed and wanted to stand up and clap, but if you know anything about Catholics, we are quite reserved. But the priest’s effort was appreciated.

I mentioned all of this to say that we all make mistakes, but God’s love redeems us. It is important to address what we feel and show respect and love to the people who are in front of us. I mentioned earlier that I would touch on a dear friend of mine in my last blog entry. If you noticed, I always mention her in my prayers at the end of the entry.

Dorothy and I go back since the late 80’s and early 90's where we worked together. She always reminded me of a sergeant in the military. She was the head accountant and made sure all department managers had their stuff together. You would know immediately if you didn’t. She did not play when it came to the numbers. No one was spared. Dorothy had a heart of gold underneath that exterior. Those of us who got to know her realized it later. I still remember her arthroscopic knee surgery. Unbeknownst to anyone, it was a prelude to many more.

After she had gotten into an accident in the new store, her life changed. I will not go into the details but since then up until now, my friend has had over 60+ surgeries. She has undergone a great deal of pain and hardships, but she still carries on like a faithful soldier. She has lost loved ones, friends and sacrificed so much for her family and herself. There were times that she disobeyed doctors’ orders from staying on bed rest to cook and provide for her family.  There are so many things that we take for granted, and yet, not anytime have I ever heard her denounce God, his love or her situations. Dorothy has assisted with the HIV victims, the broken hearted, the lost and the homeless. She probably has done much more but she does not volunteer any information to me. I’m just nosy. Throughout the trials and tribulations she endured, she never gave up. I pray for her daily. I don’t talk to her every day, because she needs her rest. But, when I do speak with her, I don’t stay on the phone long. I’m not a talker, but I just wanted her to know that I care and love her.

How many of us truly count our blessings? How many of us are grateful for what we have even if it seems that it’s not enough? How many of us thank God and include HIM in on everything that we do? How many of us even remember HIM when everything seems to be going our way? A new year is coming is here. We get another fresh start like we do every day. What will we do differently?


Dorothy & Harold, you are always in my prayers.

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos