What's Your Excuse, Now?: A Weekend of Grace and Mercy

Friday, December 14, 2018

A Weekend of Grace and Mercy


It was a very interesting and reflective past weekend for me. I went to a presentation to support a co-worker and attended a home going celebration for a good friend. I gained so much more than what I had expected to know.

I can’t express what it means when you take the time to know a person, then you will know what it’s like to walk in their shoes and truly understand them. I learned that my co-worker ran away from home partially because of an alcoholic mother and an abusive father. I learned that while running away she ran into a life of drugs and prostitution. I learned that during that time of living on the streets, she became pregnant, had her child taken away, sold drugs, became a drug addict, arrested, jailed and was homeless.

I learned that she overcame all odds, attended a homeless shelter, got clean, been clean for years, married, got a job, got married, returned as a staff member at the shelter, got her driver’s license, a car, an apartment and will be a future homeowner in the next few weeks. She expresses daily how blessed she is and how grateful she is to God Who by His Grace and Mercy had brought her so far. What a wonderful testimony! How many others have given up and lost faith? How many of us still judge the outward appearance and make decisions based on what we think? We all are works in progress, God isn’t finished with us, yet.

My next enlightening moment was at my friend’s funeral. I was supposed to be one of the pall bearers. I guess I was looking forward to being a part of his home going as he made me a part of his family’s life. If I say that he was a great, government special agent and that half of his staff, co-workers, directors and supervisors were present and spoke on his behalf or internationally known in certain circles. It sounds like bragging, but it’s not. I didn’t even know that he was recruited by Bear Bryant for the Alabama “Roll Tide” Football Program. I recently learned that he played tournament pool across the country. That was after he swept me three games in a row. I just wanted to say that he never boasted or press the issue what he was or what he did. He was just a humble guy, who saw people for what they were and appreciated them as he appreciated life. 

My friend was a family man who put God first and family second. He should have been gone after his accident made him disabled since his you so many years, but the changes in his life did not affect his attitude. It drove his zest for life. He still bought fast cars and drove them. He still hauled a custom made BBQ pit behind his truck. Since I’ve been knowing him, I have never heard him make one complaint, even when he was sick and in the hospital. He never let anything get in his way. That’s a sign of a believer, a sign a sign of gratefulness.

Grace and mercy have been my reflection this weekend. What we think that are so important, stay up all night from worries and anxieties are nothing compared to what these two individuals encountered and overcame in their lives. I have others to speak in awe about and that's coming in the future. Heads up, Dorothy, you're next. People will know about the sacrifices you have made for so many and received so little in return. But that's the way humble roll. They don't need the recognition, fulfillment from helping others is their reward.


Dorothy & Harold, you are always in my prayers.

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos