What's Your Excuse, Now?: Love You, Mother Bennett!

Saturday, April 20, 2024

Love You, Mother Bennett!

            A few weeks ago, I wrote about my 102-year-old godmother entering the heart hospital due to respiratory issues.  She was retained for three days for medication and observation.  When she was released, she could not return to independent living and had to be moved to assisted living, requiring 24/7 care.  When I visited her at the hospital, it was hard for me to see her in her present condition.  I have been so used to seeing her moving about on her own, talking satirically, and being so sharp-minded that I couldn’t speak for a few seconds.  I saw a frail, little woman with oxygen tubes gazing into an unknown, unaware that someone was in the room.  I called her name and awakened her from her trance.  She recognized me after a few minutes of conversation.  I felt her pain and concern.

 

            I felt, in my heart, that her desire to leave this world would come true. My wife and I visited her at her new location with her granddaughters. She spoke to us briefly but then nodded off to sleep.  This place was where her body and mind would only stay for a while.

 

            This morning, we were told by her granddaughter that she transitioned last night. April 19, 2024, at 7:30 p.m.  We know that you are at peace, Mother Bennett.  Your pain and suffering are now indescribable and inexpressible joys in heaven, your new home.  We love you and will miss you.  You have made an amazing impact on many people’s lives.

              I believe that Heaven rejoices whenever a family member returns home after their final journey.  And we should do the same even as we mourn the loss.

No comments:

Gorillas & Rhinos